Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Other Things You Should Read.

Lately, I've read a lot about the decline of the blog as a popular medium, as other more popular types of media pop up to take its place. Well, you know what those other media do? More often than not, they give you links... back to blogs.

I love blogs, especially writing blogs and humor blogs. And since I'm deep in the sh*t of a writing project right now, all I've been thinking about lately is writing.

Before I go back into the word mines (shouldn't this canary be breathing?), I wanted to turn your attention to a few other blogs I've enjoyed in the last few months.

The Book or Bust, written by my college friend Melissa Romo, chronicles her journey writing her first novel, which she recently completed. She also is trying something I haven't seen anywhere else on the web -- each week, she posts a list of ten independently published books in a valiant attempt to find the very best ones out there. Quite relevant these days with all this talk of the e-book revolution. Also check out Morning Talks, in which she very amusingly writes about her experience as a mom to two small boys.

I "met" JM Tohline in December, when he wrote a now legendary blog post called The Biggest Mistakes Writers Make When Querying Literary Agents. A few months ago, JM wrote 100 literary agents and asked them if they would share the most common mistakes they saw querying writers make. He heard back from about 50 agents, who were more than happy to spill the beans. One of those agents anonymously shared my Write a Novel video with JM, and I was very pleased to see it embedded in his excellent post. JM's first novel, The Great Lenore, will be published in June and is now available for pre-order here.

And lastly, for tonight at least, you should check out Paul Joseph's blog. Paul is wrapping up his first manuscript and has written some very funny posts about life as a writer, particularly this one.


  1. Looks like I'm off to the "Book or Bust" page.

    You're a good man, David.

  2. Thank you for the mention, David. This is greatly appreciated.

  3. JM... I'm off to see yours, too!
    Thanks for the mention, Kazzie! I'm truly honored. Be careful down in those mines...

  4. Just watched your Write a Novel vid, very funny.

  5. @Melissa, Paul, JM -- glad to talk you guys up!

    @mooderino -- thanks -- glad you liked the video!

  6. When I browse blogs all I get face to face contact with are ugly babies and God. Which I guess... is what the world is all about? I've never been into politics...

    What can you classify as "humor"? My blog?