Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Walking Dead and Other Sundry Items

Good evening everyone,

"After careful consideration" (the same phrase Warner Bros. Television used in its press release about canning Charlie Sheen), I've decided to change the format of The Corner a little bit.

I'm working on a couple of things right now that will make it difficult to stick to what had been my normal practice of posting a new humor column on a (mostly) weekly basis. I can tell that you are DEVASTATED.

Part of me is yelling, "You must keep the weekly columns going! That's how you got here, you ungrateful jackass!" But, the more rational side of me understands (and I hope you will too) that these other projects are extremely time consuming, and, for now, they must come first. I'm very excited about these projects, and so I hope you will stay with me as I work to bring them to life (or as I go down in a blaze of glory).

This blog will continue, and, in fact, I may end up posting more frequently, although the posts will probably (definitely) be shorter. And I'm not going to send you away empty-handed tonight. Here are a couple of things to check out:

On Tuesday, March 8, the first season of AMC's The Walking Dead comes out on DVD, and I encourage you to watch it, especially if you are, like me, a sucker for stories about the apocalypse. Based on Robert Kirkman's comic book series of the same name, TWD tells the story of a group of survivors in the aftermath of a zombie outbreak that has decimated society. It's a terrific story with strong acting. I love everything about this show -- even the film they use gives the show a dirty, washed-out, the-whole-world's-a-grave vibe.

Also, I've been following the story of Amanda Hocking, a young novelist from Minnesota who has become famous (and a little infamous) as one of the most (if not THE most) successful self-published novelists ever. She's been featured in multiple news stories in the last few weeks. According to one report I read, she sold 450,000 e-books in January ALONE. If you're at all interested in her story and in independent publishing, click here to read her blog, and see what she has to say about her success. It's a fascinating read.

Thanks, and I hope you will join me as I press onward. One of the best things about writing this blog is hearing from readers, and I hope you will continue to comment and send me e-mails.

Now back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment