Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hello, Darkness. You're Not My Friend. You're Here to Kill Me.

Early Thursday morning, I read this heartbreakingly crushing blog post, written by a man I'd never heard of, a man named Derek K. Miller, a man who is now dead. It was his final blog post, one he requested be posted upon his death from cancer. Read it.

Later that day, I began to see reports about the sudden death of a 29-year-old ESPN publicist named Kimberly Jessup. I had never heard of Ms. Jessup, but tributes to her quickly flowed across the Twittersphere. Unlike the death of Mr. Miller, who had been facing his mortality for a long while, Ms. Jessup's passing appears to have happened without warning, leaving her friends and loved ones in a state of incomprehensible shock.

And at 9:30 p.m. that same night, I was lucky to walk away from a very scary car accident with a few banged-up ribs and a hell of a lot of soreness. I feel like I've been hit by a car. Get it? GET IT? Anyway, like all accidents, I presume, this one required a whole truckload of tiny decisions and events to put me and a friend of mine in the exact spot that we didn't wanna be in at 9:30 Thursday.

I'm not sure what any of this means, other than that Cinqo de Mayo can suck it.

7 comments:

  1. If your eyes are still open – and thank goodness, they are – you can still see the light. Not the dark. The light is your friend! You're still here! Make every day count. It's not your time. :) You have books to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David - came across this blog post this morning and thought of your "Darkness" post... check it out.
    http://michaelhyatt.com/don%E2%80%99t-wake-up-dead.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, this is one of my many fears. Dying. It is a good fear to have--I think it means one enjoys one's life and doesn't want it to end. Better than a fear of radishes.

    Thanks for the link to that man's post. I'll bet he wanted people to read it. And glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @natalie -- yes, thankfully it wasn't my time, and in the big scheme of things, hopefully just a blip on the radar!

    @jenny -- yeah, death can move on down the road, thanks. and take WebMD with it. has anyone ever said, "Thank God for WebMD?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. @natalie, jenny, thanks for the kind words. I was very lucky, and hopefully in the big scheme of things just a blip on the radar of my life.

    and although I cannot run in a 5K mud run tonight as I continue to recover, I can enjoy some tasty grub from the Lebanese Food Festival.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your injuries. You're right about the bad day - I was fired on that morning. Anyway, I found your blog through your Youtube videos - they are hilarious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. welcome Anonymous -- sorry to hear about your job troubles. hope things turn around soon, and glad you got a laugh out of the videos.

    ReplyDelete