Thursday, April 5, 2012

Where Have You Been? Bathroom. For Six Weeks?*

*A line from the very underrated comedy, Summer School, with Mark Harmon and Courtney Thorne-Smith. Well, it was funny when I saw it 25 years ago at the age of 13. So there!

Anyway, it occurred to me that I'd written two blog posts in the last two months. Weak.

But I have been hard at work on a new novel, which is where I've directed all my creative efforts. I'm about 80 percent done with the first draft, and I hope to type The End by the end of this month. This is the fastest I've ever written a manuscript -- I started writing the draft in mid-December. I drink a lot of Diet Coke.

I'm really excited about this book, and I hope to tell you all about it soon. But not now. I don't want to jinx it.

As Mr. Wolf (of Pulp Fiction fame) would say: "Stay out of trouble, you crazy kids."

7 comments:

  1. Okay, first of all, Summer School was full of great lines, but that may have been the best of them. (That and Ski School 2 kept me up a lot of nights when I was younger -- that was the one with Toddorbert.)

    Second of all, I just recently finished reading The Jackpot, and I have to say it was highly addictive, with a very rewarding ending. So: good work. I'll look forward to your next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JDM

      Thanks for the good word about the book! Really glad you enjoyed it.

      Kind of afraid to watch summer school again - don't want to sully my memory of it, you know?

      Delete
    2. I know. I learned that lesson about ten years ago with Spaceballs. Sometimes it's just best to let the memories have their way.

      Delete
  2. Awesome, David! I'm about to have to go underground myself within the next month or so. I've come to realize it's the only way I can be productive. Back when I used to write 2K words a day, I NEVER got online. Now that I get online, I can't hardly whip out 500. I see a pattern there... I hope you reach the end this month! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO CLOSE, Anita. So stinking close! I'm still on track to finish by April 30, although it's probably going to leave me an incoherent mess. BUT IT WILL BE DONE. And then I can go back and see what kind of a hot mess I've created.

      Good times!

      Delete
  3. I think we can all forgive you for neglecting your blog. Much more important to get that novel finished! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J.R. I do miss blogging, and I can't believe I used to write such long posts once a week. But as you said, more important to finish the novel.

      Onward now, the end is is sight.

      Delete