Saturday, May 19, 2012

Happy Birthday to The Jackpot

One year ago today, I clicked the "Save and Publish" button on Amazon and sent The Jackpot out into the world for the very first time. It was the scariest and most exciting moment of my writing career.

I'd say "of my life", but watching my kids surgically removed from the wife's abdomen sort of has a chokehold on "scariest and most exciting moment of my life."

Anyway, if you've followed this blog at all, you know that it's been a cray-cray ride for the book. I've been to the four points of the compass in the People's Republic of Amazon, from the ruined badlands of the Kindle rankings, down in the 300,000s, all the way to the champagne wishes and caviar dreams of Amazon's Top 100.

It's been a hell of a ride. We've settled back down now in a nice neighborhood, selling a few books a day, which is a monster difference from the horror show of January 24 (the day before I went free through KDP Select for the first time), when my sales for January totaled 9. NINE books.

Self-publishing continues to turn the industry upside down. One of my writing buddies, Hugh Howey, just scored a deal with Random House in the U.K. (and many other overseas markets) for his self-published phenomenon, Wool, a post-apocalyptic novel that is burning up the charts. He also sold movie rights to Ridley Scott and Twentieth Century Fox (yes, you read that correctly). And wisely, he continues to self-publish Wool here in the U.S. And he's not the only one.

I know that many writers have been approached by agents and publishers thanks to their self-publishing success. I feel that writers, especially genre writers, are going to have to prove themselves via self-publishing, before traditional publishers or agents will take a chance on them.

It's going to continue to be part of my career. I look forward to having multiple titles available for readers. If I had one regret, it's that I didn't have more books available for sale when The Jackpot took off.  If a rising tide lifts all boats, I didn't have any other boats in the water, to my detriment.

So, happy birthday to Samantha and Julius and Carter and, of course, Charles Flagg.

I raise my glass to you.

6 comments:

  1. Charles Flagg thinks short, Lebanese self-publishers will eventually be removed from the gene pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, David on the anniversary of 'The Jackpot'!

    From the Thanksgiving season when I discovered the 'So You Want To Be..' series to now, you've entertained, provoked thought, and inspiration.

    Pointing my self-Pub workshop attendees to your 'Writer' YouTube masterpiece at the conclusion of each session does more in five minutes than my preceding 90-minute schtick ever could - Thanks!

    Wishing You 'All The Best'
    ~Emily Hill~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unknown - Thanks for being super creepy. Besides, ultimately, won't we ALL be removed from the gene pool?

    Emily - thanks for being on this ride with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. **The Envelope, Please**

    David,

    You have just been awarded The Versatile Blogger award!
    Enjoy the news that is being shared among your author colleagues and friends..the message is right here!

    http://www.avharrison-publishing.com/?p=723

    ~Emily~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily and The Versatile Blogger award work! It's how I found you. Now it's time to start perusing your catalog. Congrats on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily,

    Thank you for the award!!

    Morris -- glad you made your way over here, and thanks for the interest in my work!!

    -David

    ReplyDelete