Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Interview with Author Leigh Moore (Miss Snark's First Victim Blog Tour)


Welcome to what will hopefully be the first of the Annual Authoress' Success Story blog tours! Those of us who have owed our publishing successes, at least in part, to the Miss Snark's First Victim contests and blog have decided to come together and help cross promote each other's work.  Every day in the first two weeks of August, a different author will be posting an interview of one of our fellow Success Stories, so make sure to tune in to everyone's blogs (there's a list below the questions).

And now, I've got the great pleasure of interviewing Leigh Moore.

Hi, David! Thanks for having me here, and thanks to Authoress for all she does for aspiring authors!

Tell us a little about how you got here. 

I started writing as a kid, but I never seriously tried to write books until the fall of 2009. Before that I'd worked as a high school English teacher, as an editor in the public relations department at Louisiana State University (Geaux, Tigers!), as an editor for national associations, then when I had my two daughters, I started doing freelance news writing and editing.

In Fall 2009, for whatever reason, I started sneaking off night after night trying to write my first book. After a month of that, hubs accused me of having an online affair--LOL!--and I confessed. I'd fallen in love with a story.

Four completed manuscripts later, I entered the MSFV contest in April 2011 (for the second time). My entry ROUGE won, and from there, I was offered representation for that book by Kate McKean of Howard Morhaim Literary Agency. It's due out through Pocket Star in Nov/Dec 2012.

Who are your biggest literary influences, and what are a couple of your favorite reads?

I don't know about influences, but as a writer, I'm aiming to be something like Judy Blume meets Charles Dickens--totally commercial fiction, but with relatable characters dealing with common problems who find themselves in the middle of Dickensian-style adventures. That way I hope one of them, one day, might turn into a classic. (A girl can dream, right?)

Oh, I have so many favorite books, but two recent reads I absolutely loved were Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Franny Billingsley's Chime. Then last week I read Easy by indie author Tammara Webber, and I just swooned. I actually sent Tammara a fan email. She's great, btw.

You recently announced your three-book deal with Pocket Star (a Simon & Schuster imprint). Congratulations! I was really intrigued by the fact that your deal is, as you described, “first and foremost” for an e-book. Can you talk a little about how your deal came to be, and how it’s different from a print deal?

Thank you so much! I'm still getting used to saying out loud that I have a book deal. It was a pretty fast development, and the timeline is equally fast. Pocket Star is a new imprint that was launched in March 2012, and in April, Abby Ziddle, my editor, talked to my agent Kate about acquiring ROUGE for it. Then the three of us talked on the telephone about it, and it grew to a three-book deal. 

This is my first book deal, so I can't really compare it to other deals, but Kate said it's pretty much identical to a traditional print deal in every way except format. It will be marketed the same as their print books, and PS reserves the option to bring it out in print if they decide to do that. But the primary format is electronic.

You also work as an freelance editor. What are some of the most common mistakes you come across as you review other people’s work?

Honestly, I don't see common mistakes--other than some grammar issues. It seems every writer's different. Some have trouble with pacing, some have primarily grammar/mechanics issues, and some just need a good eye for consistency from start to finish. I love my authors, though. All of them are such great storytellers, and I'm lucky to get to know them and help make their books as good as they can be.

In addition to writing and editing, you also have a family – how are you able to balance everything and maintain some shred of sanity?

Oh, man. I don't think I do this very well, but I try. The hardest part--especially in the thick of summer vacation--is stepping away from the computer, knowing that idea or that email will keep, making good notes, and counting on my brain (or muse) to hold on until school starts back up in a few weeks.

Thanks, Leigh!

Tomorrow's post is at Leigh's blog, where she'll be interviewing J. Anderson Coats. Make sure you swing by to check out their interview.  

Visit the whole crew:

Twitter
Posting Date
@davidkazzie
1-Aug
@leightmoore
2-Aug
@jandersoncoats
3-Aug
@scifrey
4-Aug
@elissacruz
5-Aug
@Amanda_Sun
6-Aug
@KristiHelvig
7-Aug
@Leahpetersen
8-Aug
@Monica_BW
9-Aug
@emkokie
10-Aug
@MonicaGoulet
11-Aug
@petersalomon
12-Aug
@sarahbbrand
13-Aug
@angelaackerman & @writerthesaurus
14-Aug
@TaraDairman
15-Aug


29 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, David! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David and Leigh!
    Awesome interview! And Congrats, Leigh, on the book deal. Also, so funny about how your husband thought you were having an online affair! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know, right? He's so crazy. ;p <3

      Delete
  3. Great interview and great success story. Good for you and here's to continued writing and publishing of wonderful stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! Same to you! :o) <3

      Delete
  4. Hooray!! Hooray!! And Leigh, I LOVE your hat!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, dahlin! I figured you might like that~ <3

      Delete
  5. Excellent questions, David, and Leigh, many congratulations on your book deal! It's so interesting to hear about how S&S plans to roll out your novels as ebooks--I bet that this is going to get a LOT more common in traditional publishing in the next few years, and you'll be able to say that you were one of the first!

    And Blume-meets-Dickens sounds awesome--can't wait for ROUGE. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, Tara! Can't wait for you to read it! I hope you're right about the ebook deal! I was a little nervous about that aspect at first, but I had several writer-friends encourage me that it was a good thing. :o)

      Delete
  6. Great interview you two! And I LOVED Daughter of Smoke and Bone! Ah, I would love to write something so dimensional! I haven't read Chime, but Becca RAVED about it and said I must have a read. :)

    Congrats on your massive deal. And to think you could have been having an online affair instead, LOL. Good thing you fell hard for writing instead!

    Angela Ackerman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know, right? Online affair... *snort* ;p As for CHIME, it just has the most amazing voice. I'm still in love w/the MC! Thanks, girl! ((hugs))

      Delete
  7. I just love hearing success stories. Thanks for sharing, Leigh. Congrats on your book deal. Whoo-hoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Leslie! I like hearing them, too! :o) <3

      Delete
  8. Wow, that's neat. I only wish you'd included some little question about the book, so we can hear what it's about! I suppose that info's over at your blog, Leigh?

    I shall look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Petre! Actually the description's up on Goodreads now, thanks to my awesome writer-friend Lydia Kang! Here's the link: http://bit.ly/OJu5A6

      Thanks again! :o)

      Delete
  9. Loved reading this interview. Great job, guys! What an awesome start to the tour. :D Leigh, I LOVE the way you describe your ambitions as a writer and can't wait to read ROUGE. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG--THANKS, Amanda. I told that to my husband, and he looked at me like I was from space. *snort* It makes sense in my head! ;p Can't wait for you guys to read the book, too! :o) ((hugs))

      Delete
  10. Great story Leigh! I'm so thrilled for you and your success - you totally deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Thanks, Jemi! That really means a lot to me. ((hugs)) <3

      Delete
  11. LTM is one of my all time faves. Thanks for featuring her, David.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An inspiring story. I'm in the middle of my third manuscript. Maybe the fourth will be the charm. Also fascinating to read about a primarily ebook deal. The times they are achangin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there, Judy! ROUGE was my fourth completed MS! Things are changing, and it's a great thing for writers! :o) <3

      Delete
  13. Congrats on your book deal, Leigh, and let me know if you figure out the balance thing--I could use some tips! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! You got it. And hey, you let me know if you figure it out first! :D ((hugs))

      Delete
  14. Hi Leigh, great interview answers and congrats again! I'm pretty sure my husband still thinks I'm lying about the book thing and believes the online affair - I can't wait to prove him wrong! ;)
    erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Erica! You're so crazy. I bet he's your biggest cheerleader. Thanks for dropping by! :o) <3

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing Leigh's story, David. Congratulations on the three book deal, Leigh. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the 3-book deal, Leigh! Love the picture! I love seeing how different our paths were, but how many start with that moment when you make the decision to write, write more or write something, or finish something, etc. Wonderful interview, David and Leigh!

    ReplyDelete